For homeowners these include but are not limited to:
- Homeowner must be the owner of record and live in the house that will be retrofitted.
- The house must be located within one of the ZIP Codes designated by FEMA EBB.
- The house must meet the structural requirements of a Chapter A3 retrofit which is done completely in the crawl space around the perimeter of the foundation.
- For houses with cripple walls 4-feet or less, a contractor or homeowner may complete the retrofit using an approved standard plan set.
- For houses with cripple walls taller than 4-feet an engineered solution is required.
- Pre-retrofit documentation must be uploaded and approved by EBB, prior to beginning the retrofit:
- Building permit details and scope must state the retrofit is in accordance with Chapter A3.
- Provide the name of the Participating Contractor selected to do the work.
- Three photos of house exterior
- Three photos of crawl space
- Post-retrofit documentation required for payment:
- The house must successfully pass a final inspection by a local building inspector, confirming the retrofit was done in accordance with Chapter A3 and the signed permit submitted.
- If the retrofit is an engineered solution then the signed and stamped letter from the engineer must state the retrofit is in accordance with Chapter A3.
- Three photos of the completed retrofit work.
- Contractor invoice or if completed as owner/builder receipts-only (labor will not be paid).
For contractors these include but are not limited to:
- Contractors must perform all FEMA EBB retrofit work in accordance with Chapter A3.
- All retrofit work is done completely in the crawl space around the perimeter of the foundation.
- Contractors must ensure that each and every building permit for an FEMA EBB retrofit includes the required references to Chapter A3 or a standard plan set (for a Type 1 Qualifying House) or the required references to engineered plans (for a Type 2 Qualifying House).
- To be listed in the FEMA EBB Contractor Directory, contactors must be licensed by the State of California and successfully complete the FEMA training.
- Contractors may be removed from the Directory in the event FEMA EBB determines that the Participating Contractor has failed to meet the program requirements.
Read the full Program Rules.